Friday, October 7, 2011

First Day of Knife Skills - Guest Blogger, Dmitri Wyatt


Knife fighting and Tourne?

The ServeSafe exam is over, and it’s time to do the happy dance for that small step in this process to be finished.  The days of reading about pathogens, and cross-contamination are over, seeing pages and pages about physical, chemical, and don’t forget biological hazards are now a thing of the past.  Now looking on to the future we as students must remember to always wash our hands. Over, and over again! It is no longer the day of reading the order in which items should be stored in the refrigerator, but doing it, and doing it well we must!
In moving forward this week we were issued our knives.  I must give major kudos to Chef Rob and Chef Brandon, not sure if I would be comfortable teaching students how to properly use them. 
Once again, like the first day of school I found my mouth dropped with my head cocked to the side and the look on my face as to, “Wait, you want us to what?”  
Julienne, Fine Julienne, Brunoise, Fine Brunoise, Batonnet, small dice, medium dice, large dice, oh yes, and Tourne.  Or today it may have been referred to as Tornado, or baby potato footballs!   Call them what you will, I will be the first to say, Tourne is by no means my strong point. 
Practice makes perfect!  So practice we must, over and over again.  First day with knives went surprising well.  However, I’m almost positive the other students ahead of us were taking bets on how many in our class would get cut today.   Just so we wouldn’t disappoint any of them, and two boxes of band-aids later, I do believe a majority of the class left today with a blue band-aid. Just in case you didn’t know, it takes a ton of pride to rock a blue Band-Aid! 
10 pound bag of potatoes at Wal-Mart = $3.00
1 box of band-aids = $2.10
Knocking my time down to make a Tourne from one hour to sixteen minutes = PRICELESS!

Perhaps one day I will have the super-hero skills to do it in thirty-five to forty-five SECONDS, till then I still have my batman band-aids.

Happy Chopping!

-Dmitri 

No comments:

Post a Comment